Friday 20 November 2015

Book Review - The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

(Blood Of Eden #1)

Author: Julie Kagawa

Genres: Young Adult, Dystopia, Fantasy, Vampire. 

Published: March 26 2013

Pages: 433 pages (Paperback) (Harlequin Teen)

Read: November 2015

Rating: 4 Stars





To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for…again.


Book 47/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

It has been a long time since I've read a vampire novel (not counting the books where the vampires are side characters), but the ones I have picked up since Twilight have all left me with a bad feeling and a DNF'd book. I needed my vampire fix and therefore I picked up this novel, The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa.  

The beginning of this novel was intense. It was action packed, addictive and survival gritty as survival novels go and I was hooked, undoubtly certain that I would be rating this book 5 stars completely. The same can be said for the ending of this book. Those last pages were just as gripping as the start. But it was the middle of this novel that really let me down. 

It was like the story and the feel of the story completely changed for that large chunk of the middle of this book. There wasn't half as enough action, tension, surviving and it just fell flat for me and tragically I have to say that at times I did become bored with this book. In saying that though I kept reading this novel because I wanted to know what would happen and I was enjoying myself enough to keep going. 

My enjoyment had a lot to do with our main character, Allison, as I wanted to see what would happen with her as she progressed on her journey. The setting of this novel was another factor in my enjoyment. I wanted to see more of the world because I just loved the worldbuilding in this novel. It was extremely well done. Because I kept going with this novel, I did get to see a lot more and well it has left me with the feeling of I still want to see more. 

So even though, in places, this book left me underwhelmed and bored, I enjoyed it immensely in those other places that I will be continuing on with this series when I can get my hands on the next book and hopefully I will like the second book in this series, The Eternity Cure, even more than I liked this one, Here's hoping anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment