Sunday 4 September 2016

Book Review - Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard

Beautiful Broken Things Beautiful Broken Things

Author: Sara Barnard

Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary. 

Published: February 25 2016

Pages: 322 pages (Paperback) (Macmillan Children's Books)

Read: May 29 - July 9 2016

Rating: 5 Stars




I was brave
She was reckless
We were trouble

Best friends Caddy and Rosie are inseparable. Their differences have brought them closer, but as she turns sixteen Caddy begins to wish she could be a bit more like Rosie – confident, funny and interesting. Then Suzanne comes into their lives: beautiful, damaged, exciting and mysterious, and things get a whole lot more complicated. As Suzanne’s past is revealed and her present begins to unravel, Caddy begins to see how much fun a little trouble can be. But the course of both friendship and recovery is rougher than either girl realises, and Caddy is about to learn that downward spirals have a momentum of their own.

Book 22/65 - 2016 Goodreads Reading Challenge

Isn't the cover of this book just stunning! I must admit that the cover was the reason I was drawn to this book and then I read that it was all about female friendships and I was like 'that'll do, I'm picking this up right now!' 

And I am so happy that I did pick this up because I truly enjoyed this book so much. And not in the way that 'enjoy' usually means. This book was so heartbreaking. The friendships so real, complicated and toxic. 

I enjoyed that each character was so realistic. Each had many flaws and there were times when I just sat there and thought 'what the hell are you doing?' but that is the way things are in life. We all make mistakes. Relationships, friendships, they are all complicated. There is nothing ever simple or straightforward. There is nothing ever easy. And this book portrays the hardship of a toxic friendship and how it affects both people in the friendship and others outside. 

Again, I'm just going to say it, that I enjoyed this book because of the realness behind it. Even the ending of this book didn't wrap everything up in a nice little bow. It was real! This book was such a refreshing read because of this and I would put this book in line with 'Asking For It by Louise O' Neill' simply because they are both realistic and true and don't sugarcoat hard topics. 

I will be keeping my eyes out for more novels from Sara Barnard especially after loving this book so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment