Sunday 15 February 2015

Book Review - Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Out of the Easy

Author: Ruta Sepetys

Genres: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Historical Fiction.

Published: February 12 2013

Pages: 346 pages (Paperback Edition) (Penguin)

Read: February 2015

Rating: 5 Stars



It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. 

She devises a plan to get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street. Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny. 

Book 6/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

**Thanks to Penguin fora copy of this book. This has not affected my rating or thoughts on this book**

I actually received this book last year from Penguin to use as a giveaway for my book club YA Book Gang!! and I posted it as a giveaway and there was a winner but I waited for two months for the winner to contact me back with no success and then I couldn't open up the giveaway again because my financial situation changed and posting books to other countries became difficult. So I kept the book, and I read it and now here I am reviewing it. I hope nobody minds but what else was I supposed to do. 

Out of the Easy is a historical fiction novel set in 1950 in New Orleans. It follows our main character Josie Moraine as she struggles with her life and her dreams and everything in between.

I started this book and immediately fell in love. The writing style of Ruta Sepetys kept me hooked. She has that type of style that keeps you interested and tat makes everything beautiful even the worse situations. And because of this writing style and the character development in the book I connected with Josie Moraine.

Josie Moraine was a formidable character. This book isn't a paranormal or fantasy or anything like that, she was just a normal human being, but she was a strong human being. She dreamed big dreams which many of us are afraid to do. She stayed herself, even in a world which told her to be something else. She was just an amazing, inspirational character. Josie had a hard life, that was easy to see from the very first pages and that hardship continues on in the book, but not once does she actually give up, even though she thinks it sometimes and who wouldn't in her situation (you'll understand once you read the book).

But Josie wasn't the only connectable character. By God, there was a lot more - Willie, Cokie, Patrick, Jesse, Charlie, the list could go on much further and each character made the story complete. Each character added something different and each character meant something different to Josie which we can see in the book.

There were up and downs in this book that kept me on a roller-coaster of emotion. I felt happy, giddy, love-struck, sad, betrayed, worried all while reading this  and it's what made this so good. It's what kept me hooked to the pages and wanting to continue reading every second I had. I would have finished this book a lot sooner only I was really busy with coursework last week but I'm glad that I did get to read this book in the end.

I have added Ruta Sepetys to my list of favourite authors and that is saying something. Since I've just read one of her books, but I really want to get my hands on her other book Between Shades of Grey and am highly anticipating her new novel also.

So guys, if any of you have read this book, let me know what you thought or if you have read Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys, would you recommend it?? 

Below is a link to buy this book from The Book Depository:

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780399256929/?a_aid=yabookaholic123 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by Ruta but I do own Between Shades of Grey because everybody keeps saying marvellous things about it so I had to buy it. Don't know when I'll be read it though but this one sounds equally great. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first book I've read from her and it was amazing!!! I keep hearing great things about Between Shades of Grey and you must tell me what you think when you read it!! I'm debating on which book cover to get, there all so beautiful......

      Delete