Monday 2 February 2015

Book Review - Gates of Thread and Stone by Lori M. Lee

Gates of Thread and Stone

(Gates of Thread and Stone #1)

Author: Lori M. Lee

Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance.

Published: August 5 2014

Pages: 335 pages (Hardback Edition) (Skyscape)

Read: February 2015

Rating: 4 Stars


In the Labyrinth, we had a saying: keep silent, keep still, keep safe.

In a city of walls and secrets, where only one man is supposed to possess magic, seventeen-year-old Kai struggles to keep hidden her own secret—she can manipulate the threads of time. When Kai was eight, she was found by Reev on the riverbank, and her “brother” has taken care of her ever since. Kai doesn’t know where her ability comes from—or where she came from. All that matters is that she and Reev stay together, and maybe one day move out of the freight container they call home, away from the metal walls of the Labyrinth. Kai’s only friend is Avan, the shopkeeper’s son with the scandalous reputation that both frightens and intrigues her.

Then Reev disappears. When keeping silent and safe means losing him forever, Kai vows to do whatever it takes to find him. She will leave the only home she’s ever known and risk getting caught up in a revolution centuries in the making. But to save Reev, Kai must unravel the threads of her past and face shocking truths about her brother, her friendship with Avan, and her unique power.

Book 4/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

I waited for this book in high anticipation for it's release. I checked every book store around me and then finally gave in and got one of them to order it for me....in hardback!! Yes because this is the only beaut of a book that I've wanted in hardback edition so far....

I settled down in the end of January to read this beautiful book and was hoping to have it read before the end of January came about but college assignments piled up and I had to sacrifice my reading. (This is currently happening this week too......damn) But yes, the lengthy time I spent reading this book was not because I wanted to take a break or because I didn't enjoy the book or that it didn't interest me, it was because I had to finish my assignments...

Now, down to the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. From the start I was wrapped up in the world which Lori M. Lee created and fell in love with the characters, especially our main ones. Yes I'll admit as the book progressed our main character, Kai, made some choices that made me cringe an made me want to shake her. But in the end, I grew for these characters which the story revolved around, each and every one of them.

The plot was very interesting. As seen from the blurb, this is set in a fantasy world, a world which is well built also. Kai, our heroine, is different and when her brother goes missing she is determined to find him....I did not spoil anything there, all of this is mentioned in the blurb. So, the book does stick to this main plot as Kai goes to all lengths to find her brother. But there is more to this plot than this which is revealed in a massive plot twist at the end. I did not see it coming!!! I didn't see any of the ending coming!! So the plot and story is extremely interesting and something that will keep you stuck to the pages.

In the end, I loved this book. I enjoyed it so incredibly much and I felt so much emotion at the end that I can't wait to read the next installment 'The Infinite' which comes out in March and which I have already pre-ordered!! Yay!!

I would highly recommended this book to all YA Fantasy lovers. Go for it guys!!!


http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781477847206/?a_aid=yabookaholic123 


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you have to sacrifice reading time, it sucks! :(

    Great review! Also, I just saw that Gates of Thread and Stone was on NetGalley, so....I'll be reading it soon :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :'( But mid term is next week!!! And I'm kind of scared how the year has gone so quickly though like I've 3 months left in college O.o

      Anyhoo.... Thank you!!! Yay!! You'll have to let me know what you think of it :)

      Delete