Thursday 23 July 2015

Book Review - Parasite by Mira Grant

Parasite

(Parasitology #1)

Author: Mira Grant

Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Horror. 

Published: October 2013

Pages: 502 pages (Paperback Edition) (Orbit)

Read: May 2015

Rating: 5 Stars



A decade in the future, humanity thrives in the absence of sickness and disease.

We owe our good health to a humble parasite - a genetically engineered tapeworm developed by the pioneering SymboGen Corporation. When implanted, the tapeworm protects us from illness, boosts our immune system - even secretes designer drugs. It's been successful beyond the scientists' wildest dreams. Now, years on, almost every human being has a SymboGen tapeworm living within them.

But these parasites are getting restless. They want their own lives...and will do anything to get them.

Book 18/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

Parasite is a science fiction horror about a world where tapeworms are the new health craze. They take care of everything in the body. There's no more colds and flus, no more vaccines, no more tablets, no nothing. But nothing is ever as good as it seems.

I picked up this book after reading the first book in Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy, Feed, which left me with an absolute intense book hangover. You can find my review of Feed here. So when I saw that she had a second series out that seemed just as gruesome and horrific as the first, I just had to jump at the chance of reading it.  And I did. 

The plot was intriguing. When reading Mira Grant's novel, you have to understand that the pacing is slow, that inklings of conspiracies and mysteries are thrown to you through events that seem not important at the time, that in the end every little piece of information that you get with this heavily descriptive and information loaded book, is essential. Parasite was just like Feed, in the writing style, that it held many descriptions, was well researched and that there was an extreme amount of information within the pages and I loved it for that reason. I loved guessing at the conspiracies, wondering who was and wasn't involved and most of all stumbling into scenarios and situations that I didn't expect to come about. 

But not only does Mira Grant write an excellent descriptive novel, she creates depth in her characters. I fell in love with many of the characters in this book, from the protagonist to the quirky side characters. Many of them I cannot wait to read about in the second novel, when I get my hands on it. As I said Mira Grant makes her character realistic. They are real. And I just have to say that I felt so many emotions towards this characters as I read the book. Just like with Feed, I was left heartbroken, betrayed and curious with the characters in this book. 

One thing I'm not sure about this book was, was that ending reveal supposed to be known by the reader? It was a reveal that seemed pretty obvious even from the start and as the evidence piled up became more concrete. So I'm assuming it was an intentional part of the novel. 

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this horror of a book and cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel to continue on with the story and see where it leads. Of course I have to read the sequel for Feed too, which I really want to read. But one certainty is, is that they will be read. When, hopefully soon!!





No comments:

Post a Comment