Sunday 19 June 2016

Book Review - Stars Above by Marissa Meyer

Stars AboveStars Above

(The Lunar Chronicles Novellas)

Author: Marissa Meyer

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Fairytale Retellings. 

Published: February 3 2016

Pages: 369 pages (Paperback) (Feiwel & Friends)

Read: May 2 2016 - May 11 2016

Rating: 5 Stars



The Keeper: A prequel to the Lunar Chronicles, showing a young Scarlet and how Princess Selene came into the care of Michelle Benoit.

Glitches: In this prequel to Cinder, we see the results of the plague play out, and the emotional toll it takes on Cinder. Something that may, or may not, be a glitch….

The Queen’s Army: In this prequel to Scarlet, we’re introduced to the army Queen Levana is building, and one soldier in particular who will do anything to keep from becoming the monster they want him to be.

Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky: Thirteen-year-old Carswell Thorne has big plans involving a Rampion spaceship and a no-return trip out of Los Angeles.

After Sunshine Passes By: In this prequel to Cress, we see how a nine-year-old Cress ended up alone on a satellite, spying on Earth for Luna.

The Princess and the Guard: In this prequel to Winter, we see a young Winter and Jacin playing a game called the Princess and the Guard…

The Little Android: A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid,” set in the world of The Lunar Chronicles.

The Mechanic: In this prequel to Cinder, we see Kai and Cinder’s first meeting from Kai’s perspective.

Something Old, Something New: In this epilogue to Winter, friends gather for the wedding of the century…

Book 13 - 17/65 - 2016 Goodreads Reading Challenge

Stars Above! I loved this little book of novellas! Usually, to be honest I'm not a fan of novellas except when they add extra to a series such as with The Assassian's Blade by Sarah J. Maas and I can really say the same for these novellas. Even though they didn't match up to tell a story like The Assassian's Blade, they were still so amazingly good. I'm just going to go through my individual thoughts for each novella:

BEWARE OF SPOILERS!

The Keeper -
I loved seeing Michelle again in this novella. Seriously her death was just so sad in Scarlet and I was really interested to get a bit of the story of how she became the caretaker of Cinder/Selene and I finnaly got to see this here. I really enjoyed this little novella. Not my favourite but really enjoyable.

Glitches -
Another story that I feel added a lot to the series especially since we saw the family ties and tension that was there with Cinder and her adopted family and Iko. Aww Iko! I enjoyed this novella too.

The Queen's Army -
This has got to be one of my all time favourites in this little book of novellas. I loved seeing Wolf, how he was recruited, wha happened to him, his relationship with his brother and of course how he became alpha. I really, really enjoyed this novella. It was just simply amazing. 

Carswell's Guide To Being Lucky -
I enjoyed seeing this side of Carswell and his robotic cat. I loved how he was still such a quirky character even at a young age but I believe I would have perferred to see a different story of Carswell's. Maybe how he was arrested or just some of those criminal adventures that he had had. But I still ejoyed this little story. 

After Sunshine Passes By -
Oh Cress. This one just made me feel so sorry for Cress. I liked seeing how she got to be living alone in a satelite but I just felt so bad for her. She's such a lovely character too. 

The Princess And The Guard -
Another absolute favourite story of mine in this little book of novellas. I loved seeing Winter's and Jacin's relationship as they grew up and how it slightly changed after that fundemental decision for Jacin to join The Guard rather than becoming a doctor just to keep Winter safe. Absolutely loved this story.

The Little Android -
Aww I loved this little story. A Little Mermaid retelling as androids? Yes please! And I just really enjoyed it.

The Mechanic -
Kai! Kai! Kai! I loved seeing Kai's perspective when he first meets Cinder and I just found it unbelievably cute, and awwwww....

Something Old, Something New -
Another favourite again! I loved seeing what has happened after the events of Winter and that wedding was just so cute and again awww....

No comments:

Post a Comment