Wednesday 17 February 2016

Book Review - Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)Crown of Midnight

(Throne of Glass #2)

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Magic. 

Published: September 2 2014

Pages: 418 pages (Paperback) (Bloomsbury USA Childrens)

Read: February 5 2016 - February 17 2016

Rating: 5 Stars


SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS BOOK AHEAD


An assassin's loyalties are always in doubt but her heart never wavers

Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become the King's Champion. But she is far from loyal to the crown. Though she hides her secret vigilantly, her deadly charade becomes difficult when she realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. No one is above questioning her allegiance—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then, one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie ... and whom she is willing to fight for.

Book 8/65 - 2016 Goodreads Reading Challenge



Crown of Midnight is the sequel novel to Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and can we all just take a minute to appreciate the stunning, fabulous, badass cover that this book has. I mean, just wow! And just to get this little tale or rant or whatever you want to call it out of the way now, here goes. I prefer the US coloured background covers to the UK's white background covers and I'm a paperback reader which means that I have to wait a year extra for publication of these books. So yes, I'll be getting Queen of Shadows this September when ya'll be getting Throne of Glass #5. But I don't mind this toomuch because I'll still have a beautiful set of books at the end. I just said I'd add in this extra information here, so everyone knows my situation with this series.

Anyhoo, back to Crown of Midnight and my feels. God help me, I felt so much reading this book. I was so, so, so happy and then I was crushed and shocked and I just don't even know where to stand at the minute. 

Crown of Midnight was a fabulous, fast paced, action filled, assassin bad-assed, amazing sequel. I loved Throne of Glass but Crown of Midnight was just that much more amazing to me. I felt we got to see a lot more of Celaena's true side. We got to see a lot more action and Crown of Midnight was a lot more fast paced than Throne of Glass, I felt. I also loved the way we got to see more of that assassin side of Celaena. This is what and why I went into Throne of Glass and thankfully I got this aspect in Crown of Midnight. 

As I was reading this novel and the story line progressed and I was figuring out just where the story line was going I was skeptical. I was, I will admit it. I wanted Celaena to stay as assassin Celaena but even though I was skeptical, I am curious to see how everything will turn out. I want to see where everything will go, what will happen, how it will all pan out and of course how our main characters are going to progress in this story line. Therefore I am very excited to continue on with Heir of Fire but I may wait a while till the release of Queen of Shadows for me is closer. 

One thing that I was really happy about though, was reading The Assassin's Blade before reading Crown of Midnight. There were so many references to stories within that novella collection. Stories from the red desert, Sam, Arobynn, about the horse, I liked knowing the stories behind those references made within Crown of Midnight.

And that is all I can really say, unless I go into spoilers, or a complete and utter babble about my feelings right at this minute over this book, but I shall not, just know that I was over the moon, only to be crushed to smithereens, but I am still holding hope for that ship of mine and for the friendships that I want to stay intact too. Crown of Midnight, you have scarred me and I will forever hold the events in which happened in this book in my heart, just know that...

No comments:

Post a Comment