Sunday 28 December 2014

Book Review - The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

The Assassin's Blade

(Throne of Glass  #0.1 - #0.5)

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Adventure, Romance, Mystery

Published: March 13 2014

Pages: 430 pages (Paperback Edition) (Bloomsbury Childrens)

Read: December 2014

Rating: 5 Star


Celaena Sardothien owes her reputation to Arobynn Hamel. He gave her a home at the Assassins' Guild and taught her the skills she needed to survive.

Arobynn's enemies stretch far and wide - from Adarlan's rooftops and its filthy dens, to remote islands and hostile deserts. Celaena is duty-bound to hunt them down. But behind her assignments lies a dark truth that will seal her fate - and cut her heart in two forever...

This book consists of 5 novellas - The Assassin and The Pirate Lord, The Assassin and The Healer, The Assassin and The Desert, The Assassin and The Underworld & The Assassin and The Empire. In the following review I have reviewed, expressed my thoughts and rated the novellas individually.

The Assassin and The Pirate Lord: - 79 pages

A Throne of Glass novella.

On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to right the wrong she’s been sent to bring about.

I enjoyed this novella very much as we were introduced to the life before Throne of Glass. We got to see the Assassin's Keep along with some major characters like Arobynn and Sam. I also enjoyed being able to see the character of Celaena before she endured the Salt Mines of Endovier. This was a nice opening to the book of novellas and lead me straight back to how much I loved Sarah J. Maas's writing style and of course my love for Throne of Glass.

Rating - 5 Stars

The Assassin and The Healer: - 40 pages

Meet the Assassin: beautiful, defiant, destined for greatness. Celaena Sardothien has challenged her master. Now she must pay the price. Her journey to the Red Desert will be an arduous one, but it may change the fate of her cursed world forever...

This novella was a bit on the short side but that did nothing to deter the rating on which I gave it. I enjoyed this novella so much and the way it was told from two point of views just completed the whole story as we got to see Celaena from someone else's eyes. This book got me so wrapped up that even when I was finished I was still wondering what happened afterwards.

Rating - 5 Stars

The Assassin and The Desert: - 106 pages

The Silent Assassins of the Red Desert aren’t much for conversation, and Celaena Sardothien wouldn’t have it any other way. She’s not there to chatter, she’s there to hone her craft as the world’s most feared killer for hire. When the quiet is shattered by forces who want to destroy the Silent Assassins, Celaena must find a way to stop them, or she’ll be lucky to leave the desert alive.

I really, really enjoyed this novella. I even think it was the best of the three that I've read so far. From the previous novella there was a topic that was continuously mentioned by Celaena but never fully addressed and this topic was addressed in this novella and I was shocked by the revelation. Truly, I was. I had thought before that this wasn't going to be explained fully and then I was delighted to understand that each novella is connected!! Unlike some which are just a series of unconnected short stories, these little stories practically tell a full one!! I also got so many answers from this novella and we see the start of a love relationship.....awwwww....just a gorgeous novella!!

Rating - 5 Stars

The Assassin and The Underworld: - 106 pages

When the King of the Assassins gives Celaena Sardothien a special assignment that will help fight slavery in the kingdom, she jumps at the chance to strike a blow against an evil practice. The misson is a dark and deadly affair which takes Celaena from the rooftops of the city to the bottom of the sewer--and she doesn't like what she finds there.

I very much enjoyed this novella!!! Ohh I love the love interest!!!! But by damn such betrayal!! I won't say much in case I spoil anything. 

Rating - 5 Stars

The Assassin and The Empire: - 99 pages

Celaena Sardothien is the assassin with everything: a place to call her own, the love of handsome Sam, and, best of all, freedom. Yet, she won’t be truly free until she is far away from her old master, Arobynn Hamel; Celaena must take one last daring assignment that will liberate her forever. But having it all, means you have a lot to lose . . . 

Dear God, the feels fromthis novella. I felt happy, sad, rage, despair, hope, hopeless, betrayal, everything. Damn this novella. I shall not say any more....

Rating - 5 Stars


4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you really liked all of these novellas! I am glad for that because sometimes the novellas aren't as good as the main series. I also really need to start these books, I haven't read a single one yet :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God, this is the one series I've read so far where all the novellas are completely awesome!!!! You must start it soon :p Make reading the Throne of Glass series a 2015 resolution :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all of these novellas. When I was reading the first one and first saw Sam, it didn't click that this was THE Sam, but once it did, it was a straight path downhill. Well uphill and then downhill. I seriously loved these novellas, and I usually don't like novellas. Great review!

    ~Saloni @ http://myfantabulousbookshelf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did it not?? :p I was like Oh My God it's Sam!!! :p Haha I know a very bad downhill in the end...I'm the same, usually I never read novellas...
      Thank you :)

      Delete