Wednesday 5 August 2015

Book Review - A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses

(A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Faeries. 

Published: May 5 2015

Pages: 416 pages (Paperback Edition) (Bloomsbury Children's)

Read: June 2015

Rating: 5 Stars



Feyre’s survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price.

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre’s presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

Book 23/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

A Court of Thorns and Roses is the first book in the new series 'A Court of Thorns and Roses' by Sarah J. Maas. This book is a retelling of the classic story a 'Beauty and the Beast' with a catch. There are faeries! 

I picked up this book because I thoroughly enjoyed Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass and The Assassin's Blade (I have yet to read the other books in the series) and because of the concept of faeries. I love faery stories from Wicked Lovely to now A Court of Thorns and Roses. Faeries are just awesome when they are written right of course. And to put the topper on, the cover is just delicious! Seriously a high five has to be given to Sarah J. Maas's cover designers!! Splendid job!

But anyway returning to the actual contents within that beautiful cover. I enjoyed the plot within this book. I could see the basis of the fairytale. But it took me so long to read this book. It literally took me around two to three weeks to read the first half of the book. I kept putting it down to read something else. Why?? I don't know, because I was enjoying it and I was hanging on every word and I needed to know what was happening but still.... I read the last half of the book in two days so maybe it had something to do with me and my mood rather than the book. I'm not certain. 

The characters were amazing! I loved Feyre, she followed the steps of Celaena by which she was a very badass character especially at the beginning. But that did change quite a bit towards the middle and I was kind of left thinking that there were a lot of similarities between Celaena and Feyre. Maybe that was just me..
Tamlin was another of the  main characters here in this book and I loved him!! He was such a great faery. I loved his personality and the changes that happened throughout the book and seeing his whole personality was enlightening too. 
There were also many side characters which I fell for so hard!! Lucien anyone??? Rhysand?? *dreamy sigh* So many feels!! 

What else can I say? I enjoyed this book, even though it took me a long time to read, and I cannot wait for the sequel. I also cannot wait to see the cover and the title for the sequel. Ahhh. 

I know there are a lot of mixed reviews for this book, but I'd still recommend to give this one a shot and see for yourself if you haven't done so already. 


No comments:

Post a Comment