Wednesday 5 August 2015

Book Review - Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Second Chance Summer

Author: Morgan Matson

Genres: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Romance, Family. 

Published: May 7 2015

Pages: 480 pages (Paperback Edition) (Simon & Schuster)

Read: June 2015

Rating: 4 Stars



Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.

Book 24/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

Second Chance Summer is the second book written by the author Morgan Matson. It's set in a summery atmosphere at a beach house and follows a teenage girl Taylor as she learns to comes to grip with her father's condition, making amends with all the mistakes she made and with loving a boy and ultimately getting second chances in life.

This book was re-released by Simon & Schuster earlier this year in May to compliment Morgan Matson's third novel Since You've Been Gone (the sole reason I picked up this book). I read Morgan Matson's Since You've Been Gone and it was a life changer for me and opened up me world to contemporaries. You can find my review here

I enjoyed this book, but I didn't find it that amazing, like I did with Since You've Been Gone and that was because of the plot. I was quite disappointed to find myself becoming bored while reading the first half of this book. But by the end, I was extremely hooked as more and more situations occured and events unfurled and I was in complete heartbreak by the end bawling my eyes out! Yes, this book made me cry and made me happy too, we can't forget that..

I found the characters to be likeable. I wasn't really overly attached to them, again not like I was to the characters of Since You've Been Gone, but I still enjoyed the characters and I cared about them towards the end. And there was a dog!!! The dog was a great addition and an amazing character too in his own right. 

I still gave this book 4 stars because I did really enjoy most of the book and Morgan Matson is on my auto-buy authors list. I'm hoping they now re-release Amy & Roger's Epic Detour and cannot wait for Morgan Matson's new book The Unexpected Everything which is being released next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment