Sunday 30 August 2015

Book Review - The Gates by John Connolly

The Gates

(Samuel Johnson vs. The Devil #1)

Author: John Connolly

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Humour. 

Published: 2009

Pages: 264 pages (Paperback Edition) (Hodder & Stoughton)

Read: August 2015

Rating: 1 Stars (DNF)



Young Samuel Johnson and his dachshund Boswell are trying to show initiative by trick-or-treating a full three days before Hallowe’en. Which is how they come to witness strange goings-on at 666 Crowley Avenue.

The Abernathys don’t mean any harm by their flirtation with Satanism. But it just happens to coincide with a malfunction in the Large Hadron Collider that creates a gap in the universe. A gap in which there is a pair of enormous gates. The gates to Hell. And there are some pretty terrifying beings just itching to get out. . . .

Can Samuel persuade anyone to take this seriously? Can he harness the power of science to save the world as we know it?


Book 31/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

This is going to be a short review. Well it's not even going to be a review at all, just varied short, to the point thoughts. Because all I can give is those short opinions because of the fact that I didn't finish the book. 

I read books for enjoyment! It's my hobby. I'm not a professional reviewer or anything. Just a person who is doing this for fun! Therefore when I don't enjoy a book. I stop reading it. Because there is just not enjoy time in life..

And that is why I stopped reading The Gates by John Connolly. Simply because I wasn't enjoying it and just didn't think I would as the story unfolded. There were after all a few reasons as to why I didn't enjoy a book. I didn't enjoy the writing style or the content that was in the book. If you've read this book you'll know what I'm talking about, but there were massive amounts of random, annoyingly witty paragraphs in the story as well as down as a footnote in the book. This I found just to be overly annoying. 

I also didn't like the jumpiness of the book. From all of what I had read, only one did we see the actual story, the rest were different pieces about the big bang and other 'scientific' or 'witty' facts that I just didn't understand how it was going to benefit or be a part of the story. 

I also wasn't too fond of the characters. I will say that I did like Samuel and his dog, but I just didn't like them enough to keep me reading and get past my annoyance at the writing style of this book.  

So yes, I really wasn't enjoying myself or the story of this book and just couldn't get past that fact to continuing reading. This just wasn't the story for me, but I am certain that my younger brother when he's a tad bit older will probably love this book. 

But I have heard amazing reviews for this book, so don't let me put you guys off if you really want to read it. This are just my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment