Monday 4 January 2016

Book Review - The Accident Season by Moira Fowley Doyle

The Accident Season The Accident Season

Author: Moira Fowley Doyle

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Magical Realism. 

Published: August 18 2015

Pages: 280 pages (Paperback) (Corgi Childrens)

Read: December 2015

Rating: 4 Stars






It's the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom.

The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear.

But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?


Book 55/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

The Accident Season by Moira Fowley Doyle was a very interesting read, to say the least. I found this book to contain such a weird story within its pages. It's actually quite hard to explain really. 

The Accident Season is about Cara and her family which go through a 'season' every October where lot's and lot's of accidents occur, from falling to being hit by cars to breaking bones to being killed. And there is no explanation as to why this happens. Until now. In this book we discover all about Cara and her family along with the accident season and what's behind it.

This book is a mental challenge. There is so much confusion and weirdness that tells the tale of this disjointed story. There is so much fantastical imagery that your head will be full of it and still not understand where it comes into the story or what is happening, I found this confusion I had while reading this book added to my reading experience because it was unique, I haven't read something quite as disjointed as this book. But it was this aspect that did keep me from rating this book 5 stars also, so maybe it could have been a bit less confusing.

I also loved the writing style of Moira Fowley Doyle. Her writing just captivated me. I loved the descriptions and just the way she told this story. There was something there, that I can't put my finger on, that really attracted me to the writing of this story.

The relationships within this book was also quite strange, but I didn't find that it affected my reading of the novel. I actually quite enjoyed the way that Moira Fowley Doyle explored different types of relationships within this novel, from abusive to loving to LGBT relationships along with friendships and family relationships. There was just such a rounded and diversity here that I couldn't help but admire the author for it.

As for the characters I fell in love with Bee, she was such a quirky character in this novel. Cara was a great protagonist as well and loved seeing the story from her. Every character added so much to this story and I found it incredible how Moira Fowley Doyle compared the personalities of the characters to mystical beings in this magical realism book.

This is just the second magical realism novel that I've read and the first by Moira Fowely Doyle, as this was her debut, but I literally cannot wait to discover more in the genre of magical realism as well as read more from Moira Fowley Doyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment