Thursday 28 January 2016

Book Review - Winter by Marisa Meyer

Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)Winter

(The Lunar Chronicles #4)

Author: Marissa Meyer

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Fairy Tale Retellings. 

Published: November 12 2015

Pages: 823 pages (Paperback) (Puffin)

Read: December 25 2015 - January 3 2016

Rating: 5 Stars



Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?

Book 1/65 - 2016 Goodreads Reading Challenge

I craved this book! I read Cress in August of 2015 and after finishing that book all I could think about was Winter! I needed Winter as soon as I finished Cress but alas, like all of us, I had to wait. And I waited, and then it released and well I waited some more because my little brother had gotten me this book for Christmas and as you can see I cracked open this beauty on Christmas Day. 

And well, what can I say? I fell in love with this book from the very first page. I was already in love with each and every character from the previous books and well, I didn't fall any less in love with them in this book. I was just so excited to see what would happen in Winter.

Let's start off with the characters. I love them. *Sigh*. Well all the main characters anyway. Levana and her minions were just pure evil you couldn't help but despise them. I thought Winter was such a unique character. I loved her and her personality. Her loyal nature and her craziness made her all the more adorable. Then of course there was her love interest, Jacin. Jacin was such an admirable character also. I admired how much he took care of Winter and their relationship was perfect, even in their flawed ways. 

As for the setting of this book. I really enjoyed seeing the world of Luna. It was this aspect that I was really most excited to see and it didn't disappoint. Even though I could kind of see a similarity to the 'Hunger Games' world there on Luna, most dystopias and science fictions do have that similar aspect though so it wasn't too hard to bypass this little snippet.

A lot of the negative comments for Winter seem to be about the predictability of this book. But I knew it was going to be predictable from the beginning. It is a fairytale retelling and well, fairy tales end with a happily ever after. Honestly, if there was a not happily ever after to any of the story retellings here in The Lunar Chronicles I don't think I would have been able to cope. I would have just crumbled and never resurfaced.

To end this I was extremely happy with the conclusion of The Lunar Chronicles. I loved the additional characters, the new setting, the way the plot unfurled and the way all the ships sailed! I really want more from this world though and literally cannot wait for the release of Stars Above.

And of course the Queen of Retellings is writing an Alice In Wonderland retelling called 'Heartless', that is coming out in November and I just can't wait!! Eeeeeeppppp!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment