Monday 4 January 2016

Book Review - A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray

A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) A Thousand Pieces of You

(Firebird #1)

Author: Claudia Gray

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Time Travel. 

Published: October 7 2014

Pages: 360 pages (Paperback) (HarperTeen)

Read: December 2015

Rating: 5 Stars




Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.

Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.


Book 54/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

Can I just start by saying that that cover is absolutely stunning! I just love the colours, the two landscapes and it's just so incredible!. Congrats to whoever designed this cover, you are absolutely amazing at what you do!

I also must make the admission that I bought this book because of the cover. I had read Claudia Gray's first book in her vampire series many, many years ago and I didn't like it...
Then there was the point of this being a time travel novel. I love time travel novels. All The Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill is just a perfect example of a time travel book, but I've read so many bad ones too... Time Travel novels just seem to be a hit or miss with me and that sort of frightens me when I pick up a time travel novel.

But I loved the time traveling (well, dimension travelling) aspects of this book. I loved the set up and the explanation of having a multiverse rather than a universe and having all those different dimensions where everything was possible. Where in this world maybe you said no to something but in another you said yes and it could have completely transformed your life and then you could go see it.

Out of all the dimensions, I loved one in practicular. (It was the dimension where Marguerite was in Russia) This dimension made me fall in love and broke my heart. (For those of you who have read this book you know what I'm talking about!) But each and every dimension was just really interesting to resd about. I loved discovering the differences and what stayed the same. 

Towards the end of this book I was so invested in the characters especially Marguerite,  that every emotion she went through I felt myself. 

The twists and turns, the love, heartache and betrayal kept me completely hooked in this novel from the first page all the way to the last. I was actually so sad to finish this novel and am really excited to see where this story goes. I can't wait to find out what dimensions / worlds we'll see in the sequel 'Ten Thousand Skies Above You'. So it is a definite to be read in 2016.

*Plus I just can't wait to add the beautiful cover of the second book to my collection anyway.* 


No comments:

Post a Comment