Monday 11 January 2016

Book Review - Talon by Julie Kagawa

TalonTalon

(Talon #1)

Author: Julie Kagawa

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Dragons. 

Published: January 15 2015

Pages: 445 pages (Paperback) (MIRA Ink)

Read: December 2015

Rating: 5 Stars




‘There are a dozen soldiers hiding in that maze. All hunting you. All looking to kill you.’

To the outside world Ember Hill is an ordinary girl, but Ember has a deadly secret. A dragon hiding in human form, she is destined to fight the shadowy Order of St. George, a powerful society of dragonslayers.

St. George soldier Garret is determined to kill Ember and her kind. Until her bravery makes him question all he’s been taught about dragons.

Now a war is coming and Garret and Ember must choose their sides – fight to save their bond or fulfil their fate and destroy one another.

Book 57/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

As soon as I saw Talon, I knew it was a book I must have, one that I just had to read as soon as possible (I know this didn't happen, I purchased the book for my birthday way back in March 2015 and didn't actually read this book till December but oh well....) This was a book that was popping up everywhere.Why? One, because Talon was by Julie Kagawa. Two, because this book was about dragons and three, because of its dynamic cover! Can we just get an awww of appreciation for that dragon scaled feel to this awesome cover. 

Let's start this review with the not so great things. I know what you're all thinking, 'Sarah, you gave this book 5 stars, what could possibly be not great?'. Well let me just start by saying I may have had a preconceived notion about what this book would be about. When I heard 'dragons', my mind went straight to badass and fights and awesomeness that was unparalleled to this universe because it's dragons right? What I didn't expect was a practically contemporary feel with summer beaches, surfing, cliques of girls and hot guys and a rebellious 'teenager' fighting a schooling system. So when I was reading the beginning of this book, I felt disappointed. I actually felt so uninterested and had that 'this book isn't right for me right now', feeling that I put this book down for over 3 months. That's right people I started this book in August and after a few days stopped and picked it back up again mid-December when I got hooked!

Back in August I was definitely going through something because when I finally decided to pick back up Talon in December I craved the book! I read and read and read and suddenly Talon became everything that I wanted the book to be. Somewhere between a quarter and half of the book through, the feel of the book changed. No way in hell did it feel like I was in a contemporary no more. There was action, guns, mystery, betrayal, that heartfelt feeling of knowing what is going on in the character's life when they don't and of course let's not forget, there were dragons! The sole reason I had picked up this book had come in snapping and flaming fire. It was these ending three quarters / half of the book that completely redeemed this for me and that is why I gave it five stars.

I just instantaneously fell in love with the characters, practically every character and I felt so many emotions when reading the battles and torments that they went through in this book. I even held out hope for redemption for some of characters just wanting to see the good in them even though the betrayal some of these characters did was unforgivable! This book nearly broke me.

I became so invested in the plot. Everything just got so interesting towards the end! I don't know who the hell I'm shipping but I have respect for both of the love interests in this book for different reasons. I really can't wait to continue on with this series. I went out on got Rogue at the end of December and I'm practically sitting on my hands wanting to read it which I'm going to be doing soon after I finish the books I'm currently reading. 

Julie Kagawa you have written a great dragon book!

No comments:

Post a Comment